Dual battery questions - Ford Transit USA Forum
 11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 09:26:PM Thread Starter
Member
 
fargy483's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: 92672
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Dual battery questions

I've used the search function but am unable to locate this information about the dual battery.... If you know where it is, please point me in the right direction.

What is the purpose of the second battery?
Is the second battery used in case the first battery goes dead?
Does the Transit have a brain to tell it which battery to use?
What should I use the second battery for?
How much juice does a stock Transit second battery offer?
What happens if the second battery goes dead?

I ask because my Transit has the dual battery option and I am trying to suss out what type of house battery configuration to add.

chasing swell in the green 2015 transit 150 cargo with glass all around when there's no waves I pedal 🏄🚵
fargy483 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 10:20:PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,385
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fargy483 View Post
I've used the search function but am unable to locate this information about the dual battery.... If you know where it is, please point me in the right direction.

What is the purpose of the second battery?
Is the second battery used in case the first battery goes dead?
Does the Transit have a brain to tell it which battery to use?
What should I use the second battery for?
How much juice does a stock Transit second battery offer?
What happens if the second battery goes dead?

I ask because my Transit has the dual battery option and I am trying to suss out what type of house battery configuration to add.

fargy483,

They are called dual batteries in name only. They operate together, they will go dead together, one isn't a house battery. If you want a separate battery, you will have to add a third battery.

There are many Threads on this sight that explain the batteries for the Transit. Below is one. You can find others by typing in "Dual Batteries" in the SEARCH box aboce right.

Semper Fi

Dual batteries- which is house battery?
fargy483 likes this.

12/4/15 Finally able to drive.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6/26/15 At Mobility upfitter.
4/2/15 - Built , 3/24/15 - Window Sticker
12/12/14 - Ordered, 350 HR XLT Wagon, 148 WB, 3.5 EB, 3.31 LS,
USMC Vet is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:17:AM Thread Starter
Member
 
fargy483's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: 92672
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Thank you sir...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC Vet View Post
fargy483,

They are called dual batteries in name only. They operate together, they will go dead together, one isn't a house battery. If you want a separate battery, you will have to add a third battery.

There are many Threads on this sight that explain the batteries for the Transit. Below is one. You can find others by typing in "Dual Batteries" in the SEARCH box aboce right.

Semper Fi

Dual batteries- which is house battery?

chasing swell in the green 2015 transit 150 cargo with glass all around when there's no waves I pedal 🏄🚵
fargy483 is offline  
 
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:31:AM
Senior Member
 
DrJean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Post

On the 2017 Transit (and I believe with the dual heavy duty batteries on previous models as well) one of the batteries has a limiter or a separator which means it will always keep enough starting power in it... they both won't go totally dead.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DrJean is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:41:AM
Senior Member
 
Airedrifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: N. VA
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
How would that work?

2015 Transit Wagon 350 XLT, 3.5 Ecoboost, 3.31 limited slip, Medium height, Medium length, Tow package, dual batteries, 110 vlt, SYNC with CD, ...
Airedrifter is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:45:AM
Senior Member
 
DrJean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Here ya go http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...ST_180126a.pdf

A separator monitors battery charge and breaks any usage at a certain level whether to block overcharging or draining---for the Transit the level is minimum starting power.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DrJean; 11-28-2016 at 09:47:AM.
DrJean is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 10:47:AM
Senior Member
 
sschefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJean View Post
On the 2017 Transit (and I believe with the dual heavy duty batteries on previous models as well) one of the batteries has a limiter or a separator which means it will always keep enough starting power in it... they both won't go totally dead.
The vehicle will go into battery saver mode but it doesn't stop any customer loads from continuing to drain the first two batteries. When a third battery is installed, it is recommended in the BEMM that it be connected via a relay that is normally open and closed only during engine run. Engine run can be accomplished via pin 3 of connector C33-E under the drivers seat. This is a normally open negative the closes only when the engine is running. Using that and a 12+ source you can close a relay only when the engine is running that will serve to charge the 3rd battery. The pin 3 negative is also not closed during start conditions thereby protecting any sensitive 3rd battery accessories from being damaged by starter current surge.

The only caveat is that if you have the dual battery option then you have two AGM batteries and the charge voltage has been modified from that of the lead acid single battery system. Your third battery must be an AGM and ideally identical to the other two batteries.
sschefer is online now  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:44:AM
Senior Member
 
keweenawbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschefer View Post
The vehicle will go into battery saver mode but it doesn't stop any customer loads from continuing to drain the first two batteries. When a third battery is installed, it is recommended in the BEMM that it be connected via a relay that is normally open and closed only during engine run. Engine run can be accomplished via pin 3 of connector C33-E under the drivers seat. This is a normally open negative the closes only when the engine is running. Using that and a 12+ source you can close a relay only when the engine is running that will serve to charge the 3rd battery. The pin 3 negative is also not closed during start conditions thereby protecting any sensitive 3rd battery accessories from being damaged by starter current surge.

The only caveat is that if you have the dual battery option then you have two AGM batteries and the charge voltage has been modified from that of the lead acid single battery system. Your third battery must be an AGM and ideally identical to the other two batteries.
Is that charge voltage a programmable feature or is it matched to the HD alternator? Thanks for the pin 3 sinking output tip, I am going to have to really dig into that BEMM

2016 250 MR Q4x4 cargo 148wb Ecoboost 3.31 limited slip
keweenawbee is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:44:PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fargy483 View Post
I've used the search function but am unable to locate this information about the dual battery.... If you know where it is, please point me in the right direction.

What is the purpose of the second battery?
Is the second battery used in case the first battery goes dead?
Does the Transit have a brain to tell it which battery to use?
What should I use the second battery for?
How much juice does a stock Transit second battery offer?
What happens if the second battery goes dead?

I ask because my Transit has the dual battery option and I am trying to suss out what type of house battery configuration to add.
Thanks for asking the questions. I like to know the simple answer to each of the questions as well.
fromtaipei is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:53:PM
Senior Member
 
Airedrifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: N. VA
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
> What is the purpose of the second battery?

The 2nd battery is additional power. (You could accomplish the same thing with a single larger battery.

>Is the second battery used in case the first battery goes dead?

No. See answer above.

>Does the Transit have a brain to tell it which battery to use?

No. See answer above

>What should I use the second battery for?

Its use is invisible. See answer above.

>How much juice does a stock Transit second battery offer?

Each battery is 75ah. For a total of 150ah.

>What happens if the second battery goes dead?

Get a jump, as the first battery will be dead too.
73shark and fargy483 like this.

2015 Transit Wagon 350 XLT, 3.5 Ecoboost, 3.31 limited slip, Medium height, Medium length, Tow package, dual batteries, 110 vlt, SYNC with CD, ...
Airedrifter is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery box, converting and using dual batteries nc rick Ford Transit General Discussion 26 04-19-2017 02:34:PM
Dual Battery Configeration orton Ford Transit General Discussion 59 10-25-2015 09:26:PM
Dual batteries- which is house battery? lepelch Electronics, Audio, and Lighting 14 08-21-2015 04:16:PM
Dual battery W/h howmanyds Electronics, Audio, and Lighting 15 06-19-2015 03:47:PM
Dealer installed dual battery pricing, may kill deal. JoeMannix Ford Transit General Discussion 10 04-18-2015 02:22:PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off