Mattress for Transit 2016 T250 - Ford Transit USA Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 04:49:AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mattress for Transit 2016 T250

Hello,

My 2016 T250 isn't really too big, not big enough for my liking but I'm managing. Anyways, I like the idea of camping, and I think my Transit is perfect for that.

What I don't to know is what mattress would be best for me. This mattress is rather nice, exccept, you know, it's kinda expensive for a mattress.

Are there any cheaper options? Preferably, something equally good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 06:03:AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
i went with a folding mattress that turns into a short couch big enough for 2 to sit on, its a bit tight for 2 to sleep on but it works and its quite comfortable! it fits on the floor between the wheelwells but i built a fold out bed frame for it, sorry no pictures. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Z0Q9K9C7X&th=1
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 08:08:AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That link of yours is for people with too much cash in their pockets, so that they could think they bought the "best thing". I really don't recommend that.

Just do a search for camping mattress, or better yet, sleeping bag. Have you considered puchasing one?

If you don't like the idea of a sleeping bag, there are still some other options. I'd still go with an air mattress, though, some of them are thermally insulated.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 09:32:AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
We use two REI self inflating camp pads for each person with a sleeping bag. Surprisingly comfortable. Started with one pad but that was not enough. Sleep on a platform across the back that consists of four 27" wide panels that fold down from their vertical stored position against the van walls. Two panels on each side fold down and sit on top of the table that is between the two bench seats. Two back panels down for one person platform or all four down for two people. During the day the front panels are stored vertical to give a table for two for eating.

2015 high roof 148" WB 3.5 Ecoboost 3.31 LS rear cargo.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:36:AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linker View Post
Hello,

My 2016 T250 isn't really too big, not big enough for my liking but I'm managing. Anyways, I like the idea of camping, and I think my Transit is perfect for that.

What I don't to know is what mattress would be best for me. This mattress is rather nice, exccept, you know, it's kinda expensive for a mattress.

Are there any cheaper options? Preferably, something equally good.
You've got the right idea. I nearly bought that Thermarest. I've had experience with 4 of their lesser mattress pads. I discovered the Exped Megamat 10 https://www.amazon.com/Exped-MegaMat...ped+megamat+10, and went with it. I like it very well. When my home mattress needs replacing, I'll consider using 1 or 2 of these, instead.

Some people go with home-style mattresses, including memory foam. But, those can get very heavy. I put Velcro on my Megamat, and, I can stick it to the wall, when I want it out of the way.

Transit 250 Cargo MR LWB 3.5L w/3.31

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 12:25:PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Bargain for the handy and competent: Go to Ikea and look through the "as-is" department for a foam mattress. You can browse the showroom for the specs on each one. Once you decide which mattress is best suited, return to the "as-is" department frequently and one will eventually show up. Remove the fabric and cut it to the size you need and make a new cover from the old one. As good as an "at home" mattress because it is one.

In the past I've also been very comfortable with plain old 4" thick foam for camping in the van. Found at fabric stores, some department and sporting goods stores. Take one of those $" pieces and put a 2" memory foam topper on it and you have a very good bed, maybe better than your bed at home.

When I bought my van in St Louis and drove it back to CA, one of my stops in St L was Ikea, where I bought a cheap fold out couch. For the cost of a single night at a Motel, I had a bed for the next week as I made a vacation out of the drive back.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 02:51:PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Check out TheFoamFactory.com. They sell all kinds of regular foam and memory foam pads/ mattress in all sizes which you can cut to the right exact fit. I combined 4" regular conventional foam as a bottom with 3" of 4lb memory foam on top. Works great, it's even more comfortable then my house mattress!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 03:11:PM

Quoted: 303 Post(s)

Here is a shot of my Ikea queen foam mattress. It is very comfortable, yet folds in two easily to liberate daytime space.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
danketchpel likes this.

MY TROUBLED TRANSIT - 2016 T150, MR, RWB, 3.5EB. Delivered 11/15 with major steering, tire, & alignment defects. Had 6+ front-end and Sub-Frame alignments. 6 defective tires replaced. Also Steering Rack, 2 Axle Seals, Diff Gasket, Rear Brakes and Rotors, PS Pump, Wet Air Filter, Hi stop-light. Crankcase P Sensor failed at 23,500 kms. To Date, 39 days at Ford Service. See "New Van Didn't Get Far"
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 03:14:PM

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Here is another shot.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

MY TROUBLED TRANSIT - 2016 T150, MR, RWB, 3.5EB. Delivered 11/15 with major steering, tire, & alignment defects. Had 6+ front-end and Sub-Frame alignments. 6 defective tires replaced. Also Steering Rack, 2 Axle Seals, Diff Gasket, Rear Brakes and Rotors, PS Pump, Wet Air Filter, Hi stop-light. Crankcase P Sensor failed at 23,500 kms. To Date, 39 days at Ford Service. See "New Van Didn't Get Far"
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 09:31:PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH. View Post
Check out TheFoamFactory.com. They sell all kinds of regular foam and memory foam pads/ mattress in all sizes which you can cut to the right exact fit. I combined 4" regular conventional foam as a bottom with 3" of 4lb memory foam on top. Works great, it's even more comfortable then my house mattress!
I did the same. This is my Murphy bed.

danketchpel and Taz Pengra like this.

2016 T250, High Roof, Extended Body, 3.7l, 4.10 LS, Tow Pkg, HD Alternator, Dual Batt, Upfitter Sw

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page