Bed Platform Feedback Request
I have started working on Gidget's
bed and I'm interested in what the community thinks of my plan:
- Full size bed mounted perpendicular to the van
- High enough that the bed will fit into the middle section of the van at the widest point and provide plenty of space underneath the bed for storage
- Low enough that we can still sit in bed on one side (other side will probably have overhead cabinets)
- Mount 2 2x6 on the sides of the van using 4 bolts on each side (2 M8x1.25 and 2 1/4-20)
- Span the van with 6 2x3 to act like slats
- 2x3 will only be screwed in on one side of the van to allow the van to flex
- Attach 3/8 AC plywood to the slats with screws
- Attach a 1x6 to the front and back to prevent the bed from flying at my head and make it look nice
- Probably go with a full size Casper mattress
- Anyone use the stock M8 rivnuts for anything? Will they be strong enough for a bed (300lbs of humans, 60lb bed, weight of wood)?
- Are the side walls sturdy enough to do this?
- We could force some 2x3 legs under the 2x6s for extra support but our floor flexes a little bit around the edges so I'm not sure how much it would do. Thoughts?
2016 350 HD SRW Transit HR Van 148″, 3.5L EcoBoost® V6 Engine, 3.31 Limited Slip Axle, QuadVan 4×4, SYNC 3, Pewter power 10 way seats, Reverse, parking alert, Lane keeping alert, Dual batteries, Trailer tow package, PATS, Anti-Theft, Upfitter switches, Running Board, Privacy Glass
Build details on the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by morey; 05-30-2016 at 05:47:PM.