Ford Transit USA Forum banner

GVWR Decision

17K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  VanMan 
#1 ·
I'm close to ordering a Transit van to replace my aging 1999 E350 Super Duty which has (I believe) about a 4100# payload.
The E350 is kept very loaded and is more than up to the task whereas my previous E250 was not with (I believe) about a 3300# payload.
The new T250 at 9000 GVWR and a 3770# payload looks like it will probably fit the bill for me even if I need to "slim down" a bit.

From my readings, it seems to me that the only difference between the T250 and the T350 is the rear spring rate at about $1250. By comparison, my E350 looks like it has upgraded wheels, tires and brakes in addition to springs when compared to the E250.

Am I reading this right? $1250 for simply substituting different rear springs during assembly............ Ka-Ching!

In any case, if I order a T250 and find it lacking in payload, can I assume that
it would be relatively simple and safe to upgrade the rear springs to T350 rates? If so, I'll bet that $1250 might cover the cost.
Again, am I reading all this correctly or missing something?

See less See more
#2 ·
Different wheels on the 350, can't even get the alloys on it.

#3 ·
The T-350 Transit that was in my "hood" (wagon 15 pass.) had the alloys on it (M-plated)
I was riding my ruckus around, and waited/looked around @ it hoping the guy (or girl) would see me and come out (Ford Engineer).It was Labor day(ecoboost)
Every T-350 Cargo I have seen has the white wheels and a little bit bigger tires, (I was crawling around that low roof LWB Cargo powerstroke T-350 @ the Transit-tour in Dearborn ( I was reaming it, trying the tow/haul mode)
I see alot of m-plated stuff, so atleast they are trying it?
I think the white wheels are stronger?, The tires a little bit bigger, higher load rating

#4 ·
I am thinking the 350 has dual wheels on the back not just bigger springs. More wheels less shelf room in my case. Went with the 250.

#5 ·
Don't need dual rear wheels to be a T-350, all the Enterprise rental wagons are Low roof, 148 wheel base, single tire rear wheel, The T-350 cargo I drove was single rear wheel. You can get the dual rear wheels, but everyone I have seen are high roof extended Cargo or wagon.

#6 ·
I believe the literature says that the tire size on all SRW Transits is the same.
I may be wrong but I'm assuming that the tire load ratings are also the same.
Are the standard SRW wheels on the T350 really different than on the T250?
If so, is that the only difference besides the rear spring rate?

#7 ·
The ones I looked at where (tires), they where pre-production Transit's used in the "Transit-Tour"1st thing I looked @ before driving it was the tires, a little bit bigger, all the T-350 SRW ones had white wheels? I am not the expert, but have not seen any Cargo T-350's (SRW) at the dealer yet. You look for just that (tire size,rating,look at the writing molded in the side wall
I always liked the 8 lug wheels, floating rear axles on the Econoline, T-350 is more than it seams, Sales people are just starting to learn these. Start looking at this stuff if/when you get a chance, don't let anyone "TELL" you

#8 ·
I seem to remember that the 350 single wheel Transit had more bolts or different bolt pattern. The 350 HD is the duelly. I played around trying to build the single wheel 350 back in August and it wouldn't take the alloys, but that means nothing. Still, I believe that even the brochure shows differen wheels and no alloy option.

#9 · (Edited)
OK, this is how it is, (well, atleast in my mind):

T-350HD is DRW, front wheels are 6 lugs (different)

T-350 is SRW 5 lug, white wells, bigger tires (higher load rating)

The one I saw by my house was a T-350 wagon (low roof, LWB) had "your" alloy's put on it. ( I noticed the wheel centers, or ford oval was missing from the wheel centers, Manufact.-plated was a T-350,ecoboost, hitch,same silver as yours, tow-haul button, someone's charge cord for their phone hanging from the console, box of kleenex on top of console) If you where a cop, you could find this vehicle in 10 min. Does this sound like I remember it?
If I bought a T-350 (SRW) I can bolt your wheels on. The brochurce does not list those wheels, the T-350 Cargo with the white STEEL wheels HAVE bigger tires/higher load rating. This was a WAGON,you bought a CARGO
I will try to posts some pictures of the T-350 (SRW) I drove @ the tour (I have seen it on the web

#10 ·
I drove a single rear wheel 350 cargo at the ride and drive that had noticeably larger tires than the others & black wheels. Looked good. Can't remember if it was a full floater or not. It was sitting next to a 250 cargo, which I also drove Originally thought it was a 1500. Smaller tires, black wheels, non full floater. Both were EB's.
Also drove a 350 DRW cargo, diesel. It had white wheels. It was a full floater as I recall.

If it was me, and I had a business van that carried the weight all the time, I wouldn't even consider not getting the 350. $1250. is the retail price. That's not what you'll pay for it

#12 ·
I drove a single rear wheel 350 cargo at the ride and drive that had noticeably larger tires than the others & black wheels. Looked good. Can't remember if it was a full floater or not. It was sitting next to a 250 cargo, which I also drove Originally thought it was a 1500. Smaller tires, black wheels, non full floater. Both were EB's.
Also drove a 350 DRW cargo, diesel. It had white wheels. It was a full floater as I recall.

If it was me, and I had a business van that carried the weight all the time, I wouldn't even consider not getting the 350. $1250. is the retail price. That's not what you'll pay for it
+1! on that "bobojay"

They are not "floating axles" on the T-350,as they where on the 250/350 Econoline's 8 lug wheels

BUT, they (T-350) had bigger tires, the black or white wheels may differ? (only in color) (no hub caps on the black wheels ?
I think there are more "hidden" stuff not noted yet.
For a REAL work truck (Van) that is going to haul every day, I would buy the T-350 only.
The floating axles are on the DRW rear axles

#11 ·
I have the T-350, originally was hunting for 250 , but lucked into a van with all the goodies i require, and it was 350 SRW. Now, with 800 miles, and given how nice it rides, even empty, i don't feel i am giving up anything in the ride department, so i'm glad i ended up in 350 land.

wheels are black, 5 lug
tires are 235/65 R16 C -- max load 3195 lbs at 85 psi

#13 ·
When buying I only considered duals with the highest gvwr. First quote salesman gave was the 9950 gvwr, so told him I need 10360. I thought, "now this will be interesting to see what 400lb more costs". Surprise, only $300some. My tires have six lugs.

#18 ·
Post # 17 is the ONE I drove in Dearborn, T-350 diesel. You park it next to a 150/250 and notice the tires are Fatter. The Mid roof/LWB I parked next to, I got out, walked away and turned back. THEY ARE BIGGER/FATTER. Made me think the rims were stronger and went with the T-350 package. I made a statement before that the white rims w/these tires looked more "combat"
This is the truck that made me think that now I want a T-350 mid roof/LWB cargo (eco).
I have not seen any T-350 cargos like this, All the T-350's here are 15 pass. wagons (enterprise rental). The Cargo's are low roof/LWB T-250's I want to says the tires are "Hancock" and will have to look in a catalog (online) to try find to the size.
After reading "Orton" posts about the spare tire wheel well, its like a liittle bit bigger/Alot more wider to fit.

#19 ·
This states that all SRW Transits have the same rear axle. All Transits have exactly the same brakes, and all Transits have the same front axle rating. All SRW Transits have the same tires. Differences come from the gross rear axle weight rating. I can't see anything that indicates it's due to anything other than the rear spring rating. That said, I would not want to be driving a vehicle that is over its nameplate weight rating if there happened to be an accident. For those of you buying a vehicle over 10,000# GVWR, check the regs on commercial vehicles and their log book/weigh station requirements. A whole can of worms that some states use for revenue enhancement.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2015/15_Transit_SB_Updates.pdf

#20 ·
Thanks for the spec's Buckwheat, I can see some differences and I think the van I posted above (and drove) is a 9500 lb. model. I do not see any reference to rims and tires per load rating. "bobojay" saw the same difference in the tires that I saw and they are clearly "FATTER".
I do NOT see where all srw transits have the same tires.....

I did notice the ecoboost 3.5 has the "Thicker" oil than the 3.7 and know this has been a issue with the F150 eco guys getting the wrong weight oil (5-20) and MAKING the dealer dump the fresh oil and refilling it with the correct 5-30 oil @ their cost.

#22 ·
OK, I see it, but still question it

I am not trying to argue with you, was a M-plated vehicle that I drove on the Dearborn test track, and I think I found a very unquie combo that maybee only 1% will order, The highest rated SRW CARGO before the DRW comes in. (T-350 eco or diesel only)

#26 ·
Yeah theirs was a pre-production model made special as a new school T.V. ad blended into a show. I wonder how many viewers were disappointed when they tried to order one just like it.

#27 ·
I'm still confused on the tire size although I will order a T-350 regardless, even if the only difference over the T-250 is the rear spring rate.

None of the local dealers around here seem to have any T-350's to examine. Today during "Sunday Shopping" the only T-350 I could find is a rental wagon at the Enterprise lot which had Continentals in the 235/65R16C size. I will be getting a cargo van so there may be a difference in the tires and/or the brand.

Vnehess has a T-350 van and reports here that he has the usual 235/65's while VanMan and Bobojay report that the T-350's they drove at the TransitTour had larger tires and perhaps wheels.

I can find nothing in writing in the brochures/catalogs/specs that indicate anything other than the 235/65R16 is offered on any of the SRW models. I guess they are up to the task but do visually look a little skimpy.

VanMan and Bobojay............I hope you're correct about the larger T-350 tires and not reporting on some "ringer" concoction by Ford designed to impress potential buyers.

If anyone else here has a T-350 SRW cargo van, I'd love to hear what tires/wheels you have.

#29 ·
By golly VanMan, I believe that's the same van I drove in Kansas City, and the "engineer" shown in a couple of pics there while speaking is the one that I spoke to at length one on one, and went on a couple fast laps with around our course. I was passenger, and he hauled ass around it.....

Reactions: PeterR
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.