Thought I'd share my conversion project of our 2015 148 HR 3.7L RWD T250. Purchased the van in April from a GMC dealer in Reno. 2015 used with 19k miles. I think it was a cargo rental prior, and only could find cargo load dings as anything wrong with it. So far we've used the van on numerous camping trips using our first attempt as a R&D setup/simple build out to vet what we like and don't like. After a summer of that system I've narrowed down how we want to have the rig setup. This was a really great way to determine what we liked without spending a fortune on the front end.
The goal is to use this a second vehicle in town and a weekend get away rig for camping, biking, skiing, etc.
1. Insulate as much as possible. Build the floor up 2" to reduce underside heat loss
2. Install a robust additional passenger bench seat
3. Sleep full length, and have room for kids to sleep either under our platform or with a fold down bunk system
4. Minimal electrical setup to reduce costs, really just enough for minimal LED lighting and a ventilation fan.
5. New tires for snow travel
6. Add water storage, and outdoor heated shower off the rear door
7. Roof rack for solar panels and possible additional gear storage
8. Keep build cost near $5k ish, but without doing one prior it was difficult to determine what this actually is. Therefore items like $1000 load panels were out of the question as that money needed to go to other things.
I've shared some of the photos of my progress here. https://goo.gl/photos/oaT6kJCChwqVVjf46
I'll try and keep this updated as I make progress.