Ford Transit USA Forum banner

«i van» build : 2016 Transit 250 Medium Roof 148 LWB - stealthy campervan conversion

118K views 220 replies 65 participants last post by  token 
#1 ·
Hi,

«i van» is the biggest project that I ever made.

I read a lot of tips and ideas on this site and I want to share with you my project.

The plan is to do a stealthy campervan conversion for family trips across america.

We choose a custom made interior inspired from Westfalia traditional floor plan for four persons. (2 kids, 2 adults)

The picture was took july 14 2016 pick up date.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This is the plan. I used sketchup and autocad to draw our dream like we wanted it.

#3 · (Edited)
We began with a lot of holes on the floor and one on the roof. This was the scary thing of the build :)
Hole for Webasto and for passive ventilation for DC fridge

#4 ·
Since I will be purchasing the full 7 years warranty and maintenance packages, I have to be very careful to follow the no drill areas in the BEMM or the warranty will be voided. Thankfully with the update (today!) of that, I can see at least SOME place I can drill! hahaha

#5 ·
Like some here I did the insulation of the floor and the roof with polyisocyanurate board and great stuff. 3/4 for the roof with a layer of bluejean for insonorisation - 1/2 strip for the floor with russian plywood.

#160 · (Edited)
Can't see photos

I am seeing a clock-like image where I think you pictures are posted. It also tells me to update my account. Does anyone know why I cannot see the photos that are included in these posts?

#6 ·
I built all cabinet with russian plywood with laminate. I used 3M 90 spray glue to stick the laminate.

#7 ·
I installed Webasto air heater, water system with heat exchanger from engine coolant.

#8 · (Edited)
Does anyone knows the size of this nut here I need?
It's the CCP.

Attachments

#9 ·
Some other furnitures.

#10 · (Edited)
Awning installation. I used Sprinter installation kit from Fiamma. I cut them and install it on aluminium pieces. Voila!

Now we are ready to drink some beers!

#11 ·
Meanwhile my mother made some pieces for the sofa bed.

#16 ·
That is a very nice looking build! Thank you for sharing. It's always inspiration to see what others have done. I am waiting for my van now (it was built this week) so I am deep into planning.

Would you be willing to share your sketchup model? It would be really helpful as a starting point. Yours is the best sketchup model that I have seen so far. I am also building a 148WB / MR.

Thank you,

Greg

#18 ·
no problemo
Send me PV message or your address.

#20 ·
maricard, are you an AME? I see clico sheet metal clamps being used and the sealant on your awning looks like PRC..

I'm an AME (Aircraft Maintenance Engineer) and some of the stuff looks familiar.

Awesome work you are doing, very nice job!

#21 ·
nice thought
I worked for Aircraft builder some years ago. But the sealant is Sika.
Now I'm architect.

Many thanks for all your comments.

#25 ·
Major kudos, that's some impressive work. Did you do that folding couch yourself?

What is Russian plywood? Sounds like something I shoulda used for my build. Your cuts look very smooth, great workmanship. How did you do that? I could never get a decent clean cut with a jigsaw. Also, how did you do your joinery?

I just used a variety of plywoods, whatever was cheap at Home Depot, ranging from 1/4" to 3/4"

I also have a medium roof magnetic grey good taste as well!

#28 · (Edited)
Russian plywood in Quebec it's a birch plywood with more layer than standard plywood made in Russia. It's sold 60 inch x 60 inch sheet. I used bench saw to cut it and used screws, glue and plate joiner before laminated it. AND A LOT OF SANDING!!!!

Let's talk about my sofa-bed.
I'm having a lot of problem to get a sofa bed for my camper project here in Canada. So I'm trying to make one by myself. I need something safe for my children.
I spent a lot of time to design my folding couch. I used autocad and sketchup to draw it.

Before build it I did a mock up.

#29 ·
The seat should be attach to the frame by a latch. I did think very much about that. It should be strong enough to don't fold at the wrong time.

When it's in the position bed, no latch is needed but a support will be necessary to support the weight at the front of the bed.

I made a pull latch like this one https://www.reimo.com/en/58060-sitzf...iotech_classi/ with what I had on my hand. I install it on the mock up to try it.

I still have some adjustment to do but work well.

#30 · (Edited)
I printed full size drawing and welded steel pieces together. and VOILA!

If you have any question feel free to ask.

#33 ·
You are doing a really great job too. I like read your blog. You are still a good inspiration source for us.

#34 ·
I installed my new refrigerator this weekend. Novakool R3800 3.5 cu ft, DC only

#35 ·
Upper cabinet done.
I'm ready to install it this weekend.

I build the curved doors with 3 layers of plywood 1/8 inch thk glued together on a homemade jig.

#42 ·
Very nice cabinetry! Congrats!
Félicitations! ;-)

I'm new to this Forum. Didn't have time to read all your posts. Do you plan on installing a Lithium battery pack?

Do you mind if I post your build on my Kampervan Flipboard blog?
https://flipboard.com/@gogeorges/kampervan-u5qd3sehy

I'm planning to install two 6V Trojan T-105 batteries. I choose those for the price. I bought it for 250$ and I think that will be enough for now. « i van » is a family van for short trips most of the time. And some long trips I hope but not very often. I don't think that to spend 3 000$ for a lithium batterie is a good idea.

This is my electrical plan for my rv conversion. This is not a really popular plan here in this forum. Someone could explain why it isn't popular? A lot of you guys use DC to DC charger or an inverter to charge house batteries. If someone could explain me it could be great.

#39 ·
That fridge is the perfect size and layout.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.