Ford Transit USA Forum - View Single Post - The Mobile 1 Effect
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 05:55:PM Thread Starter
VanMan36

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Question The Mobile 1 Effect

My wife and I bought a 2016 Transit 250 High Top about a month ago, and we love it. Runs like a top, perfect for what we wanted it for (camper conversion)...everything's going great.

When we bought the van, it had been sitting so long that the battery was dead. I figure that's pretty normal for the big dealers like the one we went to, and they jumped it to get us going and it's been fine ever since. One thing that worried me about such a prolonged sit, though, was the oil: how long had that stuff been sitting in the engine, breaking down from disuse?

I know the 3 month/3,000 mile rule doesn't always apply to modern engines with modern oil, but I figured Ford wouldn't have put the best oil in the thing to begin with, so at 1,800 miles I had it changed. I put Mobile 1 5w-20, full synthetic in it, with a Mobile 1 extended performance filter (because I couldn't find the FRAM synthetic filters anywhere for the Transit).

The result? It runs like a freaking beast now. It accelerates more easily, pulls hills at better speed and without having to downshift as much...it even sounds better both at idle and at acceleration (it never sounded bad, but now it's much quieter and much smoother sounding). The change is marked and profound, and I've experienced it in cars with older engines (a 2009 Kia Spectra with 200,000 on it and a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 120,000)...but to see the big changes like that in a brand new motor blew me away.

So now I'm wondering: is this just my bias (I think the oil is better, so I think the engine is running better with the better oil in it -- kind of like the placebo effect), or have others experienced this as well? I find it hard to imagine that it's just my mind playing tricks on me, given the results are so pronounced...but then, I would think that, wouldn't I?

Last edited by VanMan36; 05-17-2016 at 08:07:PM.

Search Tags for this Page

ford transit usa forum
2014 ford transit
ford transit forum
2015 ford transit
transit usa forum