Ford Transit USA Forum - View Single Post - Anyone convert a Passenger Wagon?
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 10:06:AM
brimflop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I am doing a pass van. Has good and bad points- the largest to overcome is planning a
Layout around the the good stuff the pass has installed as Oem.
Good: full interior plastics, flooring, headliners, underfloor heating, rear AC, and full length airbags, and the seat rails provide additional mounting options for cabinetry.
Bad: the airbags prevent full overhead cabinetry, had to devise system to mount stuff from ceilings w/o screwing up the h/l.

After a good weeks work, of fully insulating, installing roof fan, and such, I have come to realize the pass option will really work well for us, over what I would have with a cargo.

I removed all the H/l except for the front section, that I just removed the o/h bin side mount screws . That gives one enough room to install the acoustic and heat/cool insulation. After the insulation, I added many 1/4 20 threaded rivit nuts for ceiling/roof attachment points. Put it all back together and did similar on the side walls, but will not be reinstalling the black plastic lower side panels. This area will be open ,, behind the cabinets.

For the floor, I will put a 1/4 inch plywood covered with some sort of matching vinyl, over the Oem floor, with appropriate cutouts for the floor vent grills.
During the disassembled phase I pulled the Oem floor up enough to plan my few floor penetrations, and locate a path for a wire way and a 1/2 inch water "pipe".

I'm now in the bed and associated cabinet building phase. I build the frames with 1" square metal tube, all welded and fitted as I like them. I always try to plan for future flexibility and simplicity of set up.

After doing a Sprinter , and later remodeling the same, I have a good idea of what works for us.

I must give Orton some credit - as he has done a good deal oh the legwork on fittings and such, and the WWW, for ease of finding the stuff you need.

I will be adding additional batteries and also use propane for cooking. Not decided how exotic I'll do the elec. Stove will be a portable, that way I can use it in multiple locations, and use counterspace as needed.

One suggestion,, I was going to go with SO cord for elec branch circuit, but after pricing, I found econo extension cords 16 gauge for 1/3 cost, just cut the plug ends off and go...so what if it's orange. I'll do same wth 14 gage here needed.

And so much more.

XLT Wagon 350, Long, Hi Roof , 3.5, 3.31 Limited slip, with everything I wanted.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Search Tags for this Page

ford transit usa forum
2014 ford transit
ford transit forum
2015 ford transit
transit usa forum